samedi 28 novembre 2009

A little something that can change everything.

About two months ago I did a lesson on feelings. I had a firts part with my lesson where I gave a sentence that illustrated a feeling, giving examples that kids could identify with. And at the end of each sentence there was a smiley corresponding to the feeling. It was the kids that told me where to put the smiley.
After that they all had a white board and as I was saying an emotion they had to draw it.

The first time I did it was in my class and all the kids were sitting on the carpet in front of the board. After only a few minutes some of them were no longer listening to what I was saying and prefered drawing whatever they wanted; for those who were still playing it was quite cahotic.

In short I wasn't really satisfied with the second part of my lessson.

We have the great opportunity to teach our lesson four times, once in each fisrt grade class.
Therefore I tried to improve the acivity part in the second class. What I did is that the kids were teamed by table. As I had already realised they are a lot more involved when there is some kind of competition. So for the team to be able to win a point the whole table had to have drown the right smiley.

It did worka lot better!!! Kids were really involved and those who might not have been involved were pushed by those at their table who really wanted to win. They were all helping each other, working as team to be able to be the first table to have 6 correct answers.

They learned the vocabulary but also how to work as a team. And for me seeing them learn and enjoying their time was a great satisfaction.

It is one of the lesson I liked most and I think I even like it more because I did not got it right the first time but was able to improve it.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire