lundi 28 septembre 2009

Discovery of the American educational system and Immersion teaching

There are many things I discovered during these first weeks and I am sure I'll discover a lot more!

-There are lots of unacademic activities within the school (especially in High School).

-There is a thing which surprised me: it is acceptable to miss classes for extra activities such as band. It would NOT be possible in France!

-There is a strong school identity.

-Parents are really present and they do help a lot within the school.

-Teacher ask a lot the kids' opinion or ask kids to find a solution to a problem encountered in class. I think it is great, it is their solution therefore, they have no excuse not following it!!

-I did not know anything about immersion teaching but I LOVE it! It is the best way to learn a language! I find it really cute when I speak french to the students even if they answer back in English! And I am amazed too! they are only in 1st grade and understand almost anything I say in French!!!

3 commentaires:

  1. I agree with you on many points as I made the same observations. School has a big place in the child's development but the American system also encourages a lot extra activities that will help children develop other skills such as the social one.
    Moreover, children are sometimes taken as little adults as we always ask their opinion, as you said. That can be a very good point for them to develop their judgement skills but on the other hand, we should be aware that for some questions, they are still children and they need help from someone older.

    RépondreSupprimer
  2. Yes the encouragement of extra activities is so great I think!! and really important too in one's life

    RépondreSupprimer
  3. so true Ophelie that the parents here are really involved in what's going on at school and I tend to think that sometimes it's not really a good thing to make no distinction between the educational and the private spheres. But as a lot of mums don't work here in Edina, I guess they really want to be helpful and get closer to their kids.

    RépondreSupprimer